It’s a typical Hungarian dish. Tender, cooked chicken in a sauce with ground red paprika, white paprika, onions and garlic. We usually have it with spaetzle (gluten and egg free spaetzle recipe here!)
- 4–4 chicken upper legs and drumsticks
- 1 middle sized onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 white paprikas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 g ground red paprika
- approx. 2.5 tbsp oil (depends on the size of pan)
For the thickener:
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dairy free sour cream (recipe here)
- 5 g brown rice flour
- 3 g arrowroot powder.
- Peel and wash the onion and garlic. Wash the paprikas, remove their top and seeds. Chop the onion and paprikas into small pieces.
- Wash the chicken. If you wouldn’t like to use the skin, remove it. (I usually leave as much skin as covers the chicken legs, and cut off the extra parts.)
- Oil a heavy bottomed pan and start heating it over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it until golden brown. (Stir frequently to prevent scorching.)
- Turn the heat to minimum, then add the ground paprika. Stir for a few seconds (be careful, it can scorch quickly.) Add the chicken, and as much water as covers it.
- Crush the garlic cloves through a garlic press, add them to the chicken along with the white paprikas. Add salt and pepper to taste. (If you’ll thicken the paprikash with this dairy free sour cream, take into account that it also contains salt.)
- Cook until the chicken is tender (approx.1 hour). Add some more water while cooking, if necessary to prevent scorching.
- When the chicken is tender, mix brown rice flour with arrowroot powder in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of dairy free sour cream, and mix until there are no lumps of flour. Transfer 2.5 tbsp + 1/2 tsp of cooking liquid from the pan to the sour cream mixture and mix well. Then pour the mixture into the pan while continuously stirring. You may not have to add all the mixture to the chicken sauce, it depends on how thick you’ll like it. When the sauce thickens, turn off the heat.
Serve the paprikash with pasta, or try these gluten and egg free spaetzles!