Makes approx. 8 delicious, vanilla flavored crepes. I like them best with blueberry jam😊.
This recipe is also corn and potato free.
The crepes are made from buckwheat flour, therefore they will be brown.
To sweeten the crepes I use birch xylitol. If you don’t have corn intolerance, you can use corn xylitol as well. Those whose body is not used to xylitol should use an other type of sweetener, since xylitol can have a laxative effect when consumed in larger amounts.
- 240 g buckwheat flour
- 80 g birch xylitol
- 2 tsp Bourbon vanilla powder
- 1/16 tsp of baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 500 ml warm water + 6 tbsp hot water
- 60 ml rice milk
- 4 drops of lemon juice (yes, this is a very small amount, we use it to help baking soda work)
- 14 g ground flax seeds (approx. 2 tbsp)
- coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together flax seeds and 6 tbsp of hot water. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk combine buckwheat flour, xylitol, Vanilla Powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add rice milk and lemon juice to the 500 ml of water then whisk the liquid into the dry mixture. Then add flaxseed mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Lightly oil a skillet with coconut oil and heat over almost medium heat until hot. Don’t let the oil smoke. (If the skillet is too hot, there will be small holes in your pancake.)
- Pour a ladle of crepe batter into the skillet tilting until batter evenly covers the bottom. Cook crepe for 3–4 minutes without moving until it’s golden on the bottom. Using a spatula, flip crepe to other side and cook for approx. 2 minutes.
- Transfer crepe to a wire rack to cool and continue with the remaining batter.