Salted sticks with caraway for watching movies, getting together with friends or just to enjoy 😊. It’s really simple to make them, just keep to the recipe so that the sticks will be nicely crispy.
Makes 38 sticks.
250 g millet flour
40 g white rice flour
125 g dairy free margarine (I usually use salted margarine.)
25 g coconut oil + some more to grease the top of sticks
35 g almond cream for cooking
50 g unsweetened, unseasoned apple sauce (homemade apple sauce recipe here, or you can use 100% apple baby dessert as well)
1+ 1/4 tsp. caraway + more for topping
1+1/2 tsp. (or to taste) fine salt
All ingredients should be cold, except for rice flour, salt, caraway and the coconut oil you use to oil the top of the sticks. This help us to make the sticks crispier. It may sound strange to chill millet flour, but actually this flour should always be kept in the fridge for it can go rancid quickly.
If the coconut oil you have is in a liquid state, pour 25 g in a small thick bowl before making the recipe, and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes (not more unless the oil will be so hard you won’t be able to use it).
Making the sticks is very easy:
- Mix he dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Rub in margarine, the 25 g chilled coconut oil and the dry mixture, then add the other ingredients.
- Knead the ingredients to a dough, then place it in a plastic bag and put in the fridge for 25 minutes. The dough will be quite crumbly at this stage, it will soften in the fridge.
- After removing it from the fridge, let it rest on room temperature for 10 minutes. Then put it on a breadboard lightly sifted with tapioca starch and knead for a few seconds to make it softer.
- Roll out 7-8 mm (approx. 0.28 inch) thick. The dough is very soft, so be careful when rolling and sift the rolling pin as well with tapioca starch.
- Cut the dough into 1,5 cm x 7 cm (0.6 x 2.75 inch) sticks.
- Place the sticks on a flat tray lined with parchment paper. Lightly grease the top of the sticks with coconut oil and spread them with caraway seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F), and set it to upper/lower heat-up mode.
- Place the tray on the middle rack of the oven, and bake the sticks for 15-18 minutes (until the bottom is light brown).
- After removing from the oven, let them cool on the tray for a few minutes because they easily crack at this stage. (As they cool, they harden a bit.) Then carefully move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
If stored in a plastic bag, they will soften, so it’s better to keep them in an airtight container.