The secret of this meal is to use the right kind of oats. Choose rolled oats to reach a soft, melt–in–the–mouth texture.
Not all kinds of oats available in the shops are gluten free. Make sure you buy certified gluten free oats.
To sweeten my meal I usually use 1 tsp of xylitol. If your body is not used to this sweetener, use an other type, since xylitol can have a laxative effect when consumed in larger amounts.
Some gluten intolerant people have to avoid oats as well. If you are one of them, try my overnight quinoa recipe!
Ingredients (for 1 adult serving):
- 50 g gluten free rolled oats
- 60 ml roasted, unsweetened almond milk (I used this)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- sweetener to taste.
For the topping: apple, soaked and drained raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Mix rolled oats, cinnamon and sweetener in a small bowl or wide mug. (Overnight oats are usually made in a jar, but I prefer to use a small bowl or wide mug, for the ingredients can be mixed more thoroughly, so flavors mingle better.)
- Add almond milk and mix well.
- Cover the bowl/mug with a small plate and put it in the fridge overnight. Until next morning oats will soak the almond milk and become soft but not soggy.
- Next morning stir it up a bit and add more sweetener if needed. Top it with apple slices, soaked, drained raisins and chopped walnuts.
You can make this recipe with any other fruits, e.g. it’s delicious with sour cherry as well!